Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Very Productive Teacher

Today is Thursday, and as such I did not have to work at Beales. The schedule gets really weird for the next few weeks, however, and my days off have all been changed around - especially because of our impending trip to Scotland. When things return to normal in November,though, I don't know which weekday I'll be getting off. I like having Thursdays off, so hopefully it will revert to that.

So, seeing as how I had the day off, I decided to try and be productive and went to work with Troë.

Just I as I did last Thursday, I volunteered today in the Math(s) department at Rossmore. Actually, I am technically volunteering right now, as I write this. Apparently every other Thursday, all of this school's Math teachers have a shared free period. Usually, I think they use this time to have important meetings and other department related activities, but today all of the teachers decided to rest and relax during this time - a bonus for me. Last Thursday I had to shadow for all five periods and then there was a prank fire alarm during my lunch period, so I didn't get any down time.

Not that what I'm doing is difficult, mind you. With most of the teachers I'm shadowing I do menial tasks (like handing out rulers and calculators, or collecting glue sticks - that kind of nonsense) for the first half of class while the teacher lectures. The second halves - when the students are working on assignments - are usually more enjoyable. During these times I get to walk around and actually interact with the students in some resemblence of a teaching position.

Nothing I do is very life-altering: I just help the students with their questions when they have problems, and try to modivate them, and keep them on task. And so far I've only shadowed classes where the students are between twelve and sixteen years old, so none of the material has been very challenging. But this type of interaction is what I want experience with. I don't really have any issues with public speaking, and I like to think I'm organized (even if all of my organization is in my head). What I don't have a lot of experience doing, though, is literally teaching the material to the students.

Talking to the students, directly, and helping them work through their problems; that is what I get to do here. It's great.

7 Comments:

At 8:12 p.m., September 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats what I got to do at a school in July. Its great fun (at least I thought it was!) To think I'll be teaching in just slightly over a year is scary though.

Glad you're both enjoying england. x

 
At 2:22 p.m., September 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your notes on teaching... it is actually a very rewarding profession.. I also admire you for jumping in... I am sure you don't have to and as a teacher I would be grateful for your presence... just another adult in t he room is very helpful, and to have someone knowleable in the subject! Bonus!
Thanks. Dick

 
At 8:39 p.m., October 01, 2006, Blogger Angela said...

Looks like you've found your calling, Adam!
I enjoy reading your blogs, it brings back memories of when John and I lived in England for a year (1980-1981) We were there when all the hoopla was going on about the then Lady Diana dating the Prince of Wales! When they got engaged it was the talk of England non stop for the rest of the year!
I'm pleased to see some things never change, we also got dinged for the TV license :-).We were so desparate for decent TV that even John would watch Dallas and think it was excellent television!
Do you shop at Tesco's or Sainsbury's!? and have you had a bap yet!?
Keep up the good work Troe. THe experience will be priceless for you in years to come!
Regards to you both!
Angela Day (Lani's friend)

 
At 4:17 p.m., October 02, 2006, Blogger the both of us said...

Yeah, the TV tax isn't great, but we got a cable box and it was £25. Now we get about 30 channels and we don't have to pay any monthly fees or anything. So, I guess that's the trade.
We usually shop at LIDL or ASDA, there isn't a Tesco really close to us and I'm not even sure where a Sainsbury is actually (apart from the one we went to with John in Teignmouth).
I don't know what a bap is, so no, I guess I haven't had one of those yet.

 
At 5:49 p.m., October 02, 2006, Blogger John said...

A bap!!! Ooh Troë you don't know what you're missing.

A bap (or batch in the Midlands - don't ask, I never did find out,) is a soft bread roll that you use like a sandwich - tuna and cucumber - yum!

 
At 1:35 a.m., October 03, 2006, Blogger Angela said...

Well done John! Obviously you're a Pom, as you know what a bap is! I was wondering if they still called them "baps"..I also miss the Ploughman's Lunches at the local pubs...except they (the pubs) used to close at weird hours..we'd roll up at 1 pm and they'd be closing...
boo! We'd end up having to buy a burger from Wimpy's (not good)!
Angela Day

 
At 6:15 p.m., October 05, 2006, Blogger adam said...

We've had baps here. Troë just didn't know that they were baps (even though I swear that I explained it too her).

We have baps in North Amercia too. That's how I knew what they were. When I worked at Safeway in Kelowna, we used to sell them in the bakery department.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home