Monday, September 11, 2006

Two of my favorite things.

So far, since we've moved into our new flat, we've been trying to settle in as much as possible. For the most part this hasn't been too difficult. We've found a grocery store, a book store, a place to rent DVDs. But there have been two locales noticeabley missing from our weekly shopping routine, and subsequently two items much missed: comic books and slushes. That is the case no longer. Yesterday, during our explorations with John, we were able to partake in both of these rituals.

Slushes. Despite John's insistance that they do exist in England, I had searched high and low and not been able to find slushes anywhere. I even resorted to a search on www.google.co.uk for 7-11, which, sadly, returned only a large number of webpages containing events happening on july 11th, or november 7th. Nothing about slushes. On Sunday, though, we found a small stand selling British slushes. They suck. They're the type of iced drink that you get at a fair. They come only in fruit juice flavors and have chucks of ice floating (floating!) in a syrup.

Comic books. This was a more perplexing problem. I knew that comics existed and were sold in the UK (my favorite comic writers are, in fact, British). There is a large comic shop in London on my list of attractions to take in. My problem was mainly finding somewhere closer and more accessable to shop at. Comic shops are a lot more rare over here, and Bournemouth, while not a small city, isn't quite large enough to warrant it's own comic store. When we went to Poole yesterday, however, whilst looking for a copy of Carcassonne for John in a mall, we were advised by a geeky store clerk to check out the local comic shop just down the road. My heart literally skipped a beat. Of course, we proceeded there immediately. The store didn't sell Carcassonne, but that's okay. It turned out to be one of the best comic shops I've ever been to. It should be enough to get me through a year without slushes.

I can finish settling in now.

8 Comments:

At 4:02 p.m., September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, our slushies are pants, mind you it wasn't what I remembered them to be like either.

Thanks for putting up with me for the weekend, I had a great time.

 
At 4:03 p.m., September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, our slushies are pants, mind you it wasn't what I remembered them to be like either.

Thanks for putting up with me for the weekend, and for lunch at the Mexican place, I had a great time and I'll see you both soon.

 
At 4:06 p.m., September 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, a year without slushies. What is this world coming to? I'd try to mail them, but I don't think it would work.
Glad you are settling in. Hope you had a good weekend. Give John a hug for me the next time you see him.
Hope all else is going well (slushie void notwithstanding).
Love and hugs to you both.
MMYT

 
At 3:17 p.m., September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pants? Must be British, eh?
I like the circus type better anyway...Good luck on the comic place, though, sounds phenom...

Say hello to John.. Ethel Str. Dad

 
At 10:50 p.m., September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
That totally sucks about the slushies. Boo! I was trying to devise a way for you to get them or make them, but it just would never be the same..... I guess we'll just have to stop reminding you about them so you don't realize you're missing them! Ok, not talking about slushies again from here on out! I love how your blogs are starting to sound more British as time progresses. It's great. Congrats on the job Adam and good luck with soccer Troe! Yes, I didn't post at the end, I wanted to post by the slushies! hehehe.
Kim

 
At 2:01 a.m., September 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude are you able to get the comics you were already getting? Are the shipment days different much? Like have you missed issues by moving there or are you ahead on issues now, or is it just the same?

 
At 6:29 p.m., September 19, 2006, Blogger adam said...

The slushes sucks, yeah. I racked my brain for a solution too.

 
At 6:30 p.m., September 19, 2006, Blogger adam said...

I didn't buy any comics when we went to the store, actually. My store in Van said that they'd mail my the rest of the issues I had subscribed too before we left - really just Saptember's issues. So I'll wait for them to mail me everything before I but anything new. They seem to carry the same stuff at the Poole store as in Canada, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home