Tuesday, September 12, 2006

School and Soccer

Well, a few more days in classes has passed now. I'll tell you, I'm not sure about some of the classes. I have some real little shits. In my friend's class, one student gave another one a black eye. Glad I didn't have that class. Yikes. At least I haven't been told to "fuck off" yet, though it is a popular theme among other teachers. I have had students walk in and out of my lessons, both of my class or not. I have had students absolutely refuse to do anything at all, some who swear and push and kick no matter what you say. It's really great. Fortunately, most of my classes are actually ok. I'm not saying good, but they're ok. My year 10 class is a nightmare, one girl can't get over the fact that another girl may or may not be a lesbian. All she does is insult people left and right, and when I sat down and had a talk with her, I don't think she even realized that she was being rude at all. It was just 'normal' behaviour to her. My year 11 class are quite lovely, in contrast. I had them last today and I can get 3 times as much stuff done with them as any other class, and that level is supposed to be the worst! So thank god, I guess I don't have any of the bad ones in that grade.

I am really quite excited for the school play. The auditions are next Monday. I have had quite a few people come up and sign up for them, and more who came and asked to help out back stage. Many of whom aren't even in drama. I guess it didn't fit into their timetables, but they still wanted to be a part of it.

Tonight I have a soccer practice. I am a bit nervous because after describing my skills over the phone to the coach, he said I am probably not up to par with his team, but that I should come out anyway so that he can see my skill level in person. Then he can suggest another coach to call if I actually am accurately depicting my skills. I am so nervous of making a fool out of myself. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 Comments:

At 6:35 p.m., September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wOW, CAN'T BELIEVE KIDS BEHAVE LIKE THAT. I HAD HEARD STORIES ABOUT THE STUDENTS IN BRITAIN, BUT WASN'T SURE HOW MUCH WAS TRUE. HOPE IT DOESN'T TURN YOU OFF TEACHING. WHAT GOOD EXPERIENCE YOU WILL BE GETTING THOUGH!
LOVE YA SWEETIE, AND HANG IN THERE.
MMYT

 
At 7:20 p.m., September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey... wow! I have had the occassional bad kid and even classes that seemed to conspire and make life misserable, but most experiences are survivable.

If you want advice, just ask. It may or may not work, but I will if you want... But I won't just volunteer it unless you ask...I'll mind my own business. I love you and want you to have a good experience... But I think you have already discovered what is true about teaching... some is great, some ... well, it varies froom job to job, school to school, mostly principal to principal, staff to staff....Like Lani says, hang in there. Love, Dad...

 
At 10:14 p.m., September 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What stories Lan?

And for Troë I can recommend a really good store with a deal on big sticks with nails in them....

 
At 4:10 p.m., September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, John. don't mean to insult your lovely country, but here in Canada I have heard from some teachers that have gone taught in England that the kids can be a little disruptive, especially in London. Of course, that's how rumors get started, and I am absolutely SURE that did not apply to you, right?
Love to you and Ronnie.

 
At 5:10 p.m., September 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can safely say that I was a model student and that I only ever bitched about teachers BEHIND their backs! London is apparently awful to teach in, so much so they give you lots of money if you do - still, not incentive enough for me!

Love to you and Dick - and the cats...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home