Tuesday, September 19, 2006

First, and second, days

Today was my second offical day at Beales, yesterday having been my first.

The job seems decent enough. I'm working on the basement floor of the store, in the housewares department. Most of my co-workers are girls; the store seems to have about 65% women, and most of the men work in the furniture or mens-wear departments. I'm not the only guy in housewares, though, there is one other. Also, about half of the the staff seem to be middle-aged and have worked for Beales since they were teeneged. The other half of the staff is teenaged. So, I'm definitely in the minority being a twenty-something guy in my department. That's okay, though.

The work itself is really easy. It took less than a minute to learn how to use the till, and the area I'm responsible for itsn't too large. I don't know all of the intricate details about each pot and pan, but I cook quite a bit so it's not like the stock is foreign to me. It's just a matter of learning all of the British brand names and slang terms.

Today I spent the day working in the stock room. The store is doing a stock-take (British slang for inventory) next week, and the housewares stock was a mess. None of the staff even wanted to go into the stock room (not that you could very easily anyway). I was thrilled to re-organize in the stock room, though, (I'm pedantric, remember) and now I know so much more about the products Beales sells.

The set-up isn't too bad: I work five days a week - with Sunday and another day (usually Thursday) off. I get twenty-one paid vacation days a year, and after six months work I'll be allocated nine sick days a year (not that I'll need them). Starting next month I'll be entitled to a 25% discount on most stock, and I'll be allowed to buy eighteen items of clothes at 45% off, as a uniform allowance. Everyday I work from 8:45am to 5:35 pm (the store is open from 9 till 5) with two 20 minute unpaid breaks and an hour unpaid lunch.

I've just been coming home on my hour long lunch break, seeing as how the store is less than a ten minute walk away. So I get to stretch out and relax at home for lunch everyday, which has been quite nice so far.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 a.m., September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you'll be happy in your job. sounds like it shouldn't be too bad, and the holiays and sick time are pretty cool (not that you'll need the sick time). it's nice that you guys will get sunday off together.
Love and hugs.
MMYT

 
At 11:07 a.m., September 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like a pretty large store you're working in, Adam. I;ve never heard of that name, it must be a pretty new firm.
Nice that you can walk home for luch though. What's the weather like there? Have you had the usual rain?









Sounds like your enjoying your new job Adam, and nice that it's close enough that you can walk home.

What's the weather like? Have you had much rain yet? And how do you like the town?


Lok forward to reading about all your activities, you'll be getting a British accent before you get home.

Take care, and don't work too hard.Love and hugs and blesings to you both.

 
At 7:34 a.m., September 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you don't seem to post very often and Troe posts most every day. Is that cause she has access to a comp at school and you only get to use one at a cafe or library, or is it just cause you are lazy and/or a bummer. Also, you day to day activites are cool and all but can't you talk about like movies and comics and cool stuff?

PS, I went to your old comic shop in van today and told the guy there I was you friend...he said hey. Also you never told me that Golden Age moved into the old Cheap Thrills store spot.

PPS, ROCK ON CANADA

 
At 3:33 p.m., September 28, 2006, Blogger adam said...

Sorry.

I do try to post as often as I can, but yeah, Troë does have more access to the internet at work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home