Monday, September 04, 2006

First Day on the Job

So, today was my very first day of work. (No labour day holiday here.) The students don't start till Wednesday and Thursday, so I won't have any classes until then. Today was actually kind of boring as the morning was spent in a teacher conference type thing about how to improve attendance levels. How fun. Then this afternoon was slightly more exciting where I found out that I am basically the 'head' drama teacher, and as such I am in charge of creating a curriculum to follow for myself, and for the other drama teachers to follow as well. Not overwhelming in the slightest, seeing as how it's only my second year teaching. I got bombarded with so much new information today that my brain is still trying to process a lot of it, and I've actually probably forgotten most of it already. I think I have something stupid like 15 different classes, and I might even have to teach CAPP! But I think she said probably not, so I really hope not. It's a 'home room' type class though, and a lot of teachers have home rooms, so it's not out of the ordinary apparently. The school is also bigger than I thought. Today I went in several different buildings and sections that Adam and I did not discover last week. Also, I heard from several other teachers there that this is quite a challenging school and they were asking, 'so, you think you're up for a challenge, coming to Rossmore, eh?' Great. Thank goodness I got to come home to relax after, instead of a hostel or something.

Adam has not found a job yet. Though I'm told he's almost done his resume.

As for other things... I read through the shower instructions, and I'm sorry to say, they are mostly to do with how to turn it on and what to do when it doesn't work. There are no instructions on how to wash yourself. But don't worry, Clay, I'm sure you're doing just fine, I don't hear Caran complain of any smells usually. The shower is different here though. You have to flip a breaker on before you start, then there is a pressure dial and a temperature dial, which you set before you hit the 'start/stop' button. Weird. Nothing like a facet handle or anything. And, our sink is actually the first one I have seen so far that has the cold and hot water tap combined into one.

4 Comments:

At 9:32 p.m., September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First Day: Sounds pretty normal... You might not want the CAP, but it usually is a place to orient the students...I hope they have a decent curriculum designed for it. For many years it seemed we were making up new ones and trying different things... none of them very successful.

"Head of the department! Wow! Sounds like a challenge in itself, let alone the kids! I know you will do fine, though. When you think about it, you are now a Don Keith... what the department looks like is all up to you. Break a leg. By the way, Don is directing Ann of Green Gables at the local theatre this fall. I guess I will have to break down and go see it... I really like the show.

15 classes? Wow! This is more than a beginners schedule... You will have lots of experience on your resumee...

Good luck Adam..

Link and Em say hi... Link drapes himself all over Lani and Lani breaks out in hives..

All three cats seem to vie for who will sleep with us at night, but there are never two... only one at a time.

Thanks for the blog... I gave my sister Ann your address so she will probably sign on in the next few days...

Dusty and Paul are here for a few weeks and 13 of us for dinner tonight... Steaks with Bernaise and crab! Ummmm Using the new barbeque. Still hot here...How is it there? Love, Dad

 
At 10:33 p.m., September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

short blog to you as people for dinner as dad said. Sounds like you will have your hands full - wow. i am really proud of you and know you can do anything you set your mind to - know this after all those years of living with you.
Love you and miss you. Congrats and good luck with your new job.
Love MMYT

 
At 5:33 a.m., September 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Troe! That's some impressive stuff going on there. You can do it, I know you can. And like your dad said, your resume is going to ROCK after this. And hell, after this, it'll all be easy peasy, right?

Andrew just built some stairs for rich folks on the Sunshine coast, and they want him to come back. He's not actually anyone's apprentice yet, but at least he made some money right out of school, which is cool!

I'm glad you guys are still blogging...

 
At 8:25 p.m., September 08, 2006, Blogger Clay said...

Thanks. What a comfort to know my hygiene is above reproach. Good luck to Adam in his search!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home